Friday, August 24, 2012

New Guitar. Part 1: Back Story and The Beginning

I had a need. A new electric guitar that fits the sound that I like/want/need. Being cheap, however, I was looking at pawn shops for a terribly beaten guitar that I could lovingly bring back to life. Apparently, I'm not the only one who does this, however, as every time I'd ask about such a beater, I would be quoted a price fitting a nicer guitar. I could not bring myself to pay these exorbitant prices. I had all but given up on finding something that fit my budget, and so I hit my knees.

I raised a prayer asking for a guitar, and promising what talent I have to His service, even if I didn't get one. When I stood up, I felt that I would get a guitar, but I would have to work for it in some way. I thought I'd have to work for the money to buy one. Turns out, I'd have to work for the guitar to even exist.

In my many internet travels that week, I found a website that was selling bodies and necks that their manufacturers had built, and ended up with no use for them. They were put on the website a few per day, and so I patiently waited. About two or three days went by without so much as a wood scrap that I liked. Then I found it; a double cutaway guitar body that looked beaten, bruised, and badly painted. I saw the love that it needed. I knew that it wasn't going to be easy. But it was beautiful in its own way, and I could afford it, a neck, and a bridge to get me started building. I snatched the parts I could afford.

They arrive, and I find that what I thought to be a matte-black painted body was actually a very dark tobacco-colored sunburst (which is a dark brown that fades to black at the edges). My aspirations of painting my new friend faded when I sanded it smooth, then used a damp rag to wipe the dust off. A gem appeared with that wet rag. A road-worn, beaten, bruised gem.

It almost made me cry as I realized the metaphor it contains. That story of that body is almost exactly the same as us as Christians. The world takes us and molds us into something very profane, very ugly. But then, just as this body comes to me to make it beautiful, we came to God for the same reason. Even though our bruises, scrapes, and scars are still there, we've been sanded, prepped, shined, and protected from the outside world.

Anyway, back to the build. Below are some pictures of the sanded-but-not-finished body. I know, it looks horrible like this. Just wait. I sanded like crazy to get this beauty ready to paint (kinda like God shapes and smooths us). Finally, it looked very beautiful, and I was getting impatient. See pics below of pre-laquer.


And on goes the clear, satin laquer.


 Isn't that a handsome body? The guitar ain't bad either, huh? :D Anyway, This'll just about do it for Part 1. Hopefully, Part 2 will be shorter, and come soon. Thanks for reading! Any questions or comments, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment